Monday, March 15, 2010

La Durée


Last week, I introduced you to Pierre Hermé. This week, the subject of my high-end patisserie post will be La Durée. If you are an avid reader of the blog, you might remember the appearance of La Durée in a post from October entitled, "A Parisian Institution." The blog focused on the noteworthy macarons produced by this pastry powerhouse. Today, I plan to focus on the store itself and what it has to offer (with a minor detour regarding some caramel macarons).

The Champs-Elysees location is famous for ridiculously longs lines.  There is always one for the to-go pastry counter and there is usually one for the salon de thé where you can have a light lunch and enjoy a delicious confection afterwards.  Do not be put out by these lines, though, because there is a magical place waiting for you that has no line.  If you would like to both enjoy the goodies La Durée has to offer and get a seat quickly, then head towards the back of the store to Le Bar.  B and I stumbled upon Le Bar this past Fall and have been keeping it a secret ever since so that when we go we won't have to wait in line.  Today, however, I am sharing this secret with you.  So, I'll only have you to blame if the next time I go there is a line for Le Bar.

Le Bar at La Durée.

At Le Bar, you can order an array of savory and sweet dishes along with all kinds of beverages.  This past week, I had the almost too thick and chocolatey hot chocolate with whipped cream along with four perfect fleur de sel caramel macarons.

Ok, I ordered a praline millefeuille too.  I can't lie.  In the name of food research, I needed to order something other than the macarons and this caught my eye.  How could it not?  It is thin layers of puff pastry filled with praline cream and candy coated almonds and hazelnuts.  Heavenly, I tell you.

Before you head back out to the streets of Paris, you must take a trip back in time by visiting the fancy period style bathrooms upstairs.  This will also give you a chance to look at those waiting in line for a tablein  the salon de thé and think how lucky you are that you've already been served in the cool and chic Le Bar.

This is the side entrance to Le Bar.  If you wish, you don't even have to deal with navigating the crowds to get through La Durée's front rooms to where Le Bar is located.  You can simply walk in a side door that leads directly to Le Bar.  You'll feel like a local in no time.  Just make sure to ask for a mac-a-ron and not a mac-a-roon to keep that local feeling alive.


La Durée

75, avenue des Champs Elysées
8th Arrondisement

21 rue Bonaparte
6th Arrondisement

1 comment:

industrial coffee grinder said...

I just imagine how and from where you get such innovative and amazing ideas. I was surprised to read your last post and i am very much fascinated towards this post, it's fantastic.