Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Stairmaster: Lyon Style

On my first afternoon in Lyon, I decided to head across the Saône river to the old town and then head up Fourviere hill to see the panaromic view of the area.  Sure, you can take a bus or a funiculaire up the hill  but by now you should know that's not my style.  Plus, considering the unreal amount of food I was planning to consume in this culinary capital of the world, I knew I had no choice but to hike up the hill.  There was a winding path or stairs.  I chose the latter.

Here is the start of my trek.

At the top of these stairs, I had a nice reprieve, a beautiful old building (which now houses the city archives) and a courtyard to explore.

Not to mention a cool view already.

However, the neighborhood dog who happened to be a new mama was not too thrilled at my presence.  I make it a point not to mess with new mamas (canine or human for that matter). So I hightailed it out of there.

Around the corner, more stairs awaited me.

And more.

And more.  You get the idea, I think.  800 steps in total to get to the top.  800 steps which I dutifully counted in French (which is not that easy when, for example, 798 is the equivalent in English to seven hundred four twenties ten eight).  I swear I am not making that up.

The stairmaster program was worth it.  This basilica was breathtaking.  It still amazes me that so many years ago they could make such beautiful things with so much less technology than we have today and yet today we can build some of the ugliest buildings ever.

Inside was huge and ornate.

The murals/tiles were still so vibrant in color.

And the view.  Ah.  Fresh air.  Warm breeze.  I could have stayed for hours.

When I finally decided to descend, I took the leisurely way down.  Can you blame me?

No comments: