Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Les Halles de Lyon

While in Lyon, I spent the majority of my time in the old town or on the island in between the two rivers.  However, I did venture one afternoon to the other side of the Rhone river to check things out.  I am glad I did, because I found Les Halles de Paul Bocuse.  If you don't know who Paul Bocuse is, I won't chastise you like some food snob.  Instead, I'll let you learn about him here.

If you are ever in France and see "Les Halles" it should signal that you are about to enter a food market, typically covered and usually full of diverse vendors.  For me, it's like a paradise.  I love to seek them out in small towns and big cities alike.  Here's a look at Lyon's version which for some reason is connected to Paul Bocuse, but then again, I imagine almost everything food related in Lyon is connected to him.

This glass buliding houses the 59 vendors which comprise "Les Halles."

When you first enter the building, don't be put off by it's initial commercial feel.

As you wind your way though the several aisles of vendors, a more local and friendly French vibe emerges.

Local specialties such as praline tarts abound.

Sausages and cured meats hang around every corner.

Classic French pastries fill the air with tempting scents.

Every olive imaginable is there for you to purchase and enjoy while walking the streets of Lyon.

And the cheese, oh, the cheese.

What is that I see?  Could it be a MOF working his cheese shop at Les Halles?  Why, yes it is.  Again, it's always impressive to run across the chefs or in this case fromagier who has earned the title of Best in France.

Prepared local specialties are ready for you to eat on-site or take away.

And don't forget the wine.  How could you while in France?

My favorite part of the day, though, was seeing old French men with moustaches continuing to practice a trade they had learned and perfected years ago.

Les Halles de Lyon
102, cours Lafayette
Part-Dieu
69003 Lyon

2 comments:

Andi said...

Oh! I have not thought about a praline tart in *years* - great memories of that!

Pink Slip Gourmet said...

I am officially in love with the praline tart now.