Thursday, March 18, 2010

L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon

L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon is to me perhaps one of the food meccas of the world.  From the inventive dining experience of surrounding the kitchen to the heavenly mashed potatoes for which he is famous, Joel Robuchon hits the mark at his Atelier in the 7th arrondisement of Paris.  For B's birthday, we headed to the celebrity chef's restaurant to check out what the hype was all about.  Here's a little taste from our point of view...

Spanish ham - Iberico de Bellota.

Bruschetta.  I can never pass this up anywhere I go and this time it was especially splendid.

Langoustine ravioli.

Softshell crab with avocado purée.

Sucklng pig.

Veal sweetbreads.

L'os à moelle (bone marrow) - otherwise known as the best thing I have ever eaten in my life.  Absolutely last meal worthy.  The second I put it in my mouth I thought, "I can't believe I have been deprived of this deliciousness for 28 years." 

I couldn't resist just one more shot of the plate that changed my life.

Sole Meunière.

Tiny lamb chops.

The infamous mashed potatoes.  Simply divine.

Baked apple with caramel and ice cream.

Le Chocolat Tendance.

View of the kitchen.  The restaurant is set up around this kitchen.  There are no tables, just one large bar with stools that surrounds the fury that is happening to bring food to your seat.

L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon
01 42 22 56 56
5, rue de Montalembert
7th Arrondisement
Paris


Admitedly, L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon is not for the budget traveler.  However, I think a meal here could be had without going overboard.  You just have to know going into it that portions are small, yet packed with flavor.  So, if you want to experience this food without experiencing heart palpitations upon being given the check, simply plan for a light dinner.  One or two of his tapas would be perfect for dinner after a heavy lunch earlier in the day.  Whether you go this route or are ready to splurge on several courses, without a doubt, make the bone marrow part of your experience.  You will not be disappointed.

Note: reservations must be made well in advance and are only taken for 6:30 pm for dinner. Lunch reservations are more flexible: 11:30 am-12:30 pm and 2-3:30 pm.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

best meal ever! love, brad