Sunday, March 14, 2010

A Frenchman Working 7 Days a Week?


Remember how I mentioned in my post about the Marais that I used to get so frustrated on Sundays because nothing was open? Well, that frustration was not only limited to cultural outings but also to grocery stores. If I needed some staples on Sunday, I wasn't going to get them in my neighborhood. Then, one Sunday, as I was walking the somewhat empty streets of the Left Bank, I found what at first I thought was surely a mirage. It looked like an upscale grocery store that was actually open on Sunday. I was ecstatic and walked right into L'épicerie despite not needing a thing.

I was instantly blown away by the efficiency of the space. It was not cluttered like most small grocers are in Paris, but yet it still had almost everything one could desire. It was open and airy, the fruit and vegetables fresh. As I made my way towards the back of this small space, I realized it was not just a grocery, but also a traiteur (a place that sells prepared foods). Not only that but it was a family affair too. Mom, dad and child were all there preparing food or helping the customers. As I surveyed the offerings, I realized this was no ordinary traiteur. Not only did everything look super fresh and very clean, but it was all about quality, not quantity. The prices mirrored this sentiment, but why shouldn't they when you find an upscale traiteur in the 7th arrondisement in Paris open seven days a week? I immediately thought, "These people can't be French or they wouldn't work seven days a week." Well, I was wrong. They are French, friendly and eager to serve you their delicious food or help you find a grocery item you need. If you are in the 7th, stop by this gem for a gander at their scrumptious offerings. Even better, pick up some goodies and head to a picnic right across the river in the Tuileries.

As you walk in the door, you can't help but notice all the vibrant colors of the produce section.

Not to mention the stacks of crusty baguettes.

The "traiteur" section.

Salamis, sausages, etc.

A wide variety of cheeses.

Fresh berries and confections.

Saved the best part for last: there is a small wine cellar in the back where they sometimes hold wine tastings.  This place is perfection.


L'épicerie
23 Rue des Saints-Pères
7th Arrondisment

No comments: