Saturday, March 27, 2010

Rue Vavin

One random weekend day (and keep in mind that would be Wednesday or Thursday for me these days), I stumbled upon a quaint street in the 6th arrondisement that I thought was just perfect for an afternoon stroll. Why, exactly did I think that?  Well, first and foremost because the street extends from one of the exits of Luxembourg Garden, which is a perfect place for a picnic lunch and catching some warm rays from the sun.  Yes, all you naysayers, there can be sun in Paris.  And when there is, you will want to be in Jardin du Luxembourg.  If afterwards you would like to soothe a sweet tooth or calm a shopping itch, you can do either on Rue Vavin.  I guess this is what I found so appealing about the otherwise non-descript street.  To me, too many streets in Paris are all identical - art gallery after art gallery, haute couture shop after haute couture shop, antiques after antiques.  Ok, I think you get the picture.  Rue Vavin was simply a clean, quaint street right off the park with options for everyone.  If you are in the area, take a few minutes to stroll the block.

Park exit that leads directly to Rue Vavin.

Looks cute, doesn't it?

There are several children's stores.

And who doesn't love gelato?  I can vouch for Amorino.  It's quite good.  Try it out for yourself and see.

There are a few clothing stores.

A linens store.

A chocolatier.  Again, who hates chocolate?  Of course, there are those random people you meet who claim that they don't like chocolate.  I don't know about you, but personally I think they're aliens or glutton for punishment.  Either way, I ignore them and think, "More for me!"

A florist.

And the all-important boulangerie/patisserie.   Every good street in Paris needs one and this appears to be a good one with a line out the door.

No comments: