Saturday, March 20, 2010

Avocados and Euros

As I mentioned previously, the food served for "family meal" at the restaurant is not always my cup of tea.  At first, it was ok actually, but as time has gone by I have really started to miss the veggies, fruit, and lean protein that usually make up my diet. 

Whenever I see one of the chefs cooking something awesome looking before lunch service, I get my hopes up that it might be for the restaurant staff.  However, that has never been the case.  Not when there was a gorgeous tomato, mozzarella, and eggplant salad or when I smelled the hint of sauteed zuchinni and garlic coming from a skillet recently.  So, last week when I saw a platter of avocado halves sprinkled with herbs, shallots and a little vinaigrette, I quickly dismissed the thought that it could be my lunch.  Until, it was my lunch.  Woo hoo!  It might sound sad to you, but I was elated to be served what I now consider a delicacy for lunch.

The cherry on top of that day was that after lunch, they gave me a paycheck.  WHAT!!!???  I certainly did not act as surprised as I was to be receiving payment for the slave hours I had been working.  I was afraid they may take it back if they thought I had been willing to work for free.  So I simply slipped the check into my pocket and saved the "I'm so excited dance" for the privacy of my home later that day.  Granted, if I had dared to convert the miserly amount into an hourly wage I may not have been in a dancing mood.  Still, centimes an hour is better than nothing at all.

No comments: