Friday, March 12, 2010

Strasbourg Food

I saved the best for last.  In this installment about Strasbourg, I bring you all the deliciousness that B and I consumed over the weekend.  The architecture in the Alsace region is not the only thing that sets it apart from the rest of France.  It also has a very unique style of food and some fantastic white wines.  Of course, we indulged ourselves in these delicacies in order to better educate our palates.  Here's a glimpse at that education... 

Le Buerehiesel.  A one star Michelin restaurant just outside the city center of Strasbourg.  The restaurant is smack dab in the middle of a beautiful park.  So, if you want to dine there, don't take my lead and go at night.  Instead, have a leisurely lunch where you can enjoy the gorgeous surroundings, because to be honest the decor in the restaurant itself needed some updating.

 
B's first Course: crudités with shrimp in a broth.

My first course: ravioli in a consommé with veggies.

My main dish: redfish garnished with various shellfish and rice.

B's main dish: veal shank with crispy polenta and veggies.

Ah.  The cheese tray, arguably the best part of the meal.  Who doesn't love being able to choose a plate of stinky French cheese from a selection like this?  How do you choose?

It's easy.  Just like this!  Why be shy?  My motto: the more stinky cheese, the better.  Ok, so that's not really my "motto," but it certainly seemed to be that night.

For dessert, I had a chocolate and lemon creation that was quite pleasing.  Maybe not so much to the eye when you see it in the photo, but it tasted really good.

B had pain perdu with ice cream and a poached pear.  Perfection.

With coffee came all this.  Unbelieveable.  Where do they expect you to put all of that?  My jeans are already tight enough, thank you.

Another night in Strasbourg, we ate at L'Atable 77.  We actually thought the food was much better here than at Le Buerhiessel and would go back the next time we just happen to be in Strasbourg :)  The decor was modern and the service excellent, two things not often found in the same establishment in France.

B's first course: risotto with truffles.

My first course: gambas in consommé.  Apparently, I was in to consommé on this trip.

B's second course: Seabass with glacéd vegetables.

My second course: scallops in a jerusalem artichoke foam.  Foam is all the rage these days.  I have to admit that I won't be all that sad when that trend falls by the wayside.

B's third (yes, third. We are in France, you know): a modern twist on pot-au-feu.

My third course: pork with polenta and purple potatoes.

Cheese course.  We shared this one, thank you.

And the dessert too.  A chocolate macaron with pear slices.

A trip to Alsace is not complete, though, without the legendary tarte flambée or flammenkuche.  One of the ones we had (we tried several over the course of three days) was made in this outdoor wood burning oven.  The scent emerging from that oven was heavenly and the line to get a tarte flambée just as long as the one to get into heaven. 

The line was worth the wait.  As you can see, we tore through almost the entire thing before I could bear to allow myself some time to get out the camera and take a picture.  The crust is literally paper thin and the only toppings are bacon, onions and a cream based sauce.  I highly recommend it.


Restaurant Buerehiesel
4, parc de l’Orangerie
Strasbourg

L'Atable 77
77, Grang Rue
Strasbourg

No comments: