Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Wow. It Just Gets Better.

I didn't think Aix-en-Provence could get any better until this morning when the Tuesday market proved otherwise.  While there is a daily farmer's market in Aix, come Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday the whole town is basically transformed into one type of market or another.  One could spend hours strolling through the different markets across town. 

There is the flower market outside the Hotel de Ville.

There is the regular farmer's market which brings more booths to Place Richelme on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday than on other days. This calisson vendor is one example.  Calissons are a regional treat comprised of almonds and fruit.  You just have to try one when you are in Aix or your visit is not complete.

Another welcome addition today was the honey man.

As well as the much enlarged seafood stand.

How scary does this fish (a monkfish) look?  For 30 Euros he's all yours.  He was caught in the Mediterranean, if that for any reason makes him more appealing. 

The market taking place at Place des Precheurs was really outstanding.  Everything from fresh fruit and vegetables stands to butchers, chicken roasters, cheese sellers, and spice hawkers was found.  Plus, right across the street one can find all kinds of pottery, jewelry, soaps and clothes.  It's an adult candyland.

By 11 am, the paella man was getting close to selling out.  Of course, I couldn't pass up the opportunity sample his fare.  After contemplating all the add-on options, I opted for chicken, mussels, shrimp and chorizo.  Jealous, aren't you?

I was intrigued by the spice man.  I wanted so badly to be a permanent resident here so I could scoop up several spices and head home with them to make marvelous meals.  Alas, that is not the case.  So, instead I settled for sticking around and smelling all the different scents for as long as I could before I became annoying.

This is without a doubt a new addition to the market - a macaron stand.  Macarons are all the rage everywhere right now.  So much so that the trend has hit the small town market.

Ah, my favorite stand - the rotisserie.  The smell wafting from this place would bring even a vegetarian to her knees.  It's simply heavenly.  I struck up a conversation with the nice elderly gentleman who ran this joint, and he stole my heart.  I handed over five Euros at the end of our conversation, and he put away a perfectly roasted bird and the accompanying juice-soaked potatoes for me.  Before leaving the market, I dropped back by the stall, picked up my piping hot lunch and had to restrain myself from tearing open the bag before getting back to the apartment.

The colorful pottery was calling my name, but considering the large amount of things I am bringing home already I had to be content with just looking today.

I was in awe of the craftsman fashioning chairs during the bustling market. 

The free entertainment made and already perfect morning even better.

No comments: