Monday, May 24, 2010

A Weekend in Alsace

Before leaving France, I had the wonderful opportunity of spending a long weekend in Ottrott, a small village in the Alsace region.  If you haven't been to Alsace or it is not on your list of places you want to go, reconsider it as a destination.  In December, you might remember Brad and I visiting Strasbourg.  I fell in love with the area then and my recent trip to the countryside only made my love grow stronger.  It's just so unique with all the German influence.  Plus, the food is to die for, and the people are friendly.  Doesn't get much better than that!  Here is a quick look at my time in and around the small Alsatian town.

The weather was a bit dreary, but that was not unique to Alsace.  For some reason May in France this year was cold and rainy.  The beautiful landscape in and around Ottrot more than made up for that, though.

I have to give a big shout out to my hosts, Liliana and Janne.  Thank you so much for the invitation and all the hospitality you showed me.  

For example, when I arrived dog tired, cold, sick (and thus in desperate need of a nap) this is what was waiting for me in my room.  I mean, really?  Honestly, I could have stayed in there all day - roaring fireplace, cozy bed, good book.  It was perfect.

Alas, hunger got the best of me and so I was delighted when we headed into town to get some veritable flammekueche/tarte flambée. Believe me, it went fast! 

Next came a river fish that is frequently used in France called Sandre.  Fresh veggies with a cream and pesto sauce made it quite delicious.

Dessert seemed to take forever to get to the table.  When it arrived, I certainly knew why.  This was not your average creme brulée!  It was accompanied by all kinds of fruits and sorbets on a beautifully constructed plate.  Well done!

The next day, we headed to a local castle, Haut-Koenigsbourg.

Which had amazing views, even when it was overcast.

To rid ourselves of the chill we took on while walking through a centuries old castle in the cold, we headed to a little restaurant and tasted local delicacies, including snails.

As well as this potato, bacon and cheese dish.

Hupsa Pfannala was a quaint place with good food and good service.  If you are in the neighborhood, check it out.

Then we headed into "the big town," Obernai, which of course had traditional Alsatian architecture.

We even saw a stork's nest high on top of a chimney.  The area's mascot is a stork so I was excited to finally see proof that they really existed around there.  I was starting to think it was just a gimmick, but nature proved me wrong.

Speaking of nature, the next morning we woke up as early as our wine-induced sleep would allow and hiked a mountain.

Yes, you read that right.  We hiked up and down Mount Odile and while it was a tough start, the fresh air actually did us all some good. :)

At the top of the mountain lies a monastery (as well as breathtaking views).

There is also a natural spring with holy water that you can use to hydrate yourself on the long walk home.

It was such a long walk home that we were actually worried we had hiked down into Germany by accident.  It's an easy mistake to make, but luckily we ended up right where we started - in charming Ottrott, France.


Hupsa Pfannala
59 Route du Vin
Saint-Hippolyte
France

Below is a restaurant and wine shop that is not mentioned above, but is highly recommended:

L'Ami Fritz
8, rue des Chateaux
Ottrot-le-Haut
France

1 comment:

Liliana said...

loved your blog on Alsace and I am glad you enjoyed the trip! Looking forward to our next one together. Hugs from Amsterdam