Monday, May 10, 2010

Ah, Provence

It has been a couple years since I stepped foot in the Provence region of France, but it doesn't seem that much has changed.  And that's a good thing.  This morning, I was awoken by church bells.  Not the kind that make you want to grab your pillow, squeeze it around your ears and curse, but the beautiful soft kind of a nearby church reminding you that it is indeed time to rise and shine.  So, I did just that because I was on a mission - a market mission.  My plan this week while in Aix-en-Provence is to live a Provencial lifestyle: shop at the daily market, cook delicious meals with the ingredients I pick up that day, drink copious amounts of red wine, and stroll the streets in between.  Come along with me as I do all these things.  I promise to keep you updated daily.

Here is a look at the Monday market in Aix.  I fell in love with it.  Every vendor was friendly, eager to answer questions, and very knowledgable about his or her product.  I wanted to buy everything I saw, but tried to restrain myself considering I am just cooking for one.  Even so, I came away with the following:

Lunch and dinner fit for a queen, in my opinion.  Can't wait to get into the kitchen! 

 To get to the market from the apartment I am renting, I traversed this square.

Which was full of people having their morning coffee and baguette.

Just two short minutes later, I was in heaven.

The market was lively and undeniably smelled of Provence.  I swear there is a distinct, intoxicating scent in Provence. Every time I am here, I detect it.  It's the kind of sensory memory that comes flooding back the minute you smell it and reminds you of only one place.  It also seems to put you in a trance that makes you never want to leave.  Although there is no way to truly describe this heavenly scent, I would say that it is in part a mixture of lavender, fresh air (both from the sea and from the mountains) and a simple joie de vivre. 

Of course, the market would not have been complete without the lavendar lady.

This was the fishmonger I made friends with this morning. How adorable is he in his blue and white striped shirt? This place is like a fairytale, I tell you.

No comments: