Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Blasphemy



If you have been to Paris, you have probably heard about or read about the iconic ice cream shop Berthillon.  Maybe you have even visited it already.  Even if you haven't been to Paris you might have heard about it - it's just that well known.

Due to that fact, I hate to do what I'm about to do. Parisians will naturally accuse me of blasphemy, but I could not care less.  I call it like I see it and that's how it is.  In this case, I just do not think the ice cream at Berthillon merits the "highfalutin" status given to it. To me, there is much better ice cream in Paris and in the world at large (especially if you include gelato). Sorry Paris, but at least to me, it's true. Note: I'm no fool. Don't think it is an accident that I am stating this while not physically in Paris. :)

However, on the subject of Berthillon, I will say this: the sorbet there is worthy of all the prestige bestowed upon the shop. I have simply never tasted sorbet more flavorful or satisfying than that found at Berthillon. So, if you have been dying to check out this Parisian institution, never fear. Simply order the sorbet and you will not be disappointed.


The fancy shop on Ile St. Louis (the smaller island in the Seine) is typically teeming with people, so be prepared to stand in line.

There is also a salon attached to the shop where you can sit and enjoy your afternoon sugarfest.

You can even order gorgeous looking desserts like this.

Or you can take your deliciousness to the streets of Paris like I did.  Since I couldn't decide what sorbet flavors to get that day, I decided to fat-out and get four different kinds: peach, mango, wild strawberry (which has little bits of fraises des bois in it!) and black currant.  Next time, I will go nuclear and just get the black currant (cassis) and maybe the wild strawberry (fraises des bois) because they are out of this world.

Berthillon
31 Rue Saint-Louis en l'Ile
4th Arrondisement
Paris

One last thing: there are several cafes, brasseries, and restaurants that serve Berthillon ice creams and sorbets.  However, I think it is best to go straight to the source.  Of course, if you happen to be in Paris during the months of July and August, you are out of luck.  It might seem totally counter-intuitive (remember, though, that this is France we are talking about), but the Berthillon shop is typically CLOSED during the hottest months of the year.  Yep, an ice cream shop closed in the summer.  As my grandmother always said, "Beats all I've ever seen!" 

When you think about it, though, can you blame them?  It's obvious that they make enough money the rest of the year to not even bat an eye at closing during what other ice cream shops consider the "money" months.  Props to them for that.

No comments: