Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Battle Gelato

In the right corner, represented by baby cupid is Amorino.  In the left corner, wearing blue shorts and sporting a devious smile, is Grom.  They are about to duke it out in Paris's first ever Battle Gelato, and you happen to be a lucky spectator to this fight to the death.  Who will end victorious?  Read on to see and don't hesistate to weigh in on the matter yourself.

Amorino

Amorino is a popular gelato shop in Paris as evidenced by the long lines and no less than 13 shops in the city. 

Look at that line!

Amorino was my introduction to gelato in Paris, and I fell hard for it.  How could I not?  There were so many delicious flavors from which to choose: dark chocolate, speculous, stracciatella , noisette.  The best part was that I could pick as many flavors as I wanted. because Amorino doesn't limit flavors.  Pick a size and they will try to fit whatever flavors you want into that size.  Now, that is customer service like I have never seen in France!

Plus, if you get a cone, they make it look like a beautiful flower.  It makes you almost not want to eat it, it is so pretty.  Of course, you quickly get over that after your first bite when you are launched into a gelato-induced high.

Grom

Grom is also quite popular and frequently has long lines as well.  The difference is that there is only ONE Grom in all of Paris.  Luckily for me, it's in my neighborhood.  (Sidenote: How in the world did I get so lucky?)

Grom has a different approach than most gelato or ice cream places.  You can't see the gelato in the case.  It's hidden beneath a stainless steel cover.  At first, this was very distressing for me.  I needed to see the flavors to know what I wanted.  Soon I realized, though, that 1) Grom employees are always happy to let you taste as many flavors as you want 2) You really can't go wrong with any flavor.  So, I got over my not-being-able-to-see-the-gelato-phobia.  Are you proud? Can I get a round of applause for that?  Thank you.  Hard life, I know.

At Grom, they do limit the flavors you can get which means I usually get a moyen (medium) sized cone so that I can get three flavors.  They don't make it pretty, but there is NO need to do so.  It gets devoured so quickly that you don't care what it looks like.  I can't even begin to describe the utter deliciousness that is Grom gelato.  It's so flavorful, creamy and smooth (unless you get Crema di Grom which has chocolate bits and special cookie pieces in it!!!!).  It is without a doubt nothing short of perfection - especially the caramel au beurre salé that is sadly no longer available.  I almost cried the day they told me it had been taken out of rotation, and that is not an exaggeration.

And, yes, I swear this is a medium sized cone.  Can you believe it?  It is HUGE.  My hips can attest to this if you don't believe me for some reason.

Grom is on a quiet side street of St. Germain and has ample outdoor seating for a lovely spring or summer evening.

So, after re-reading the post, I think it is pretty safe to say who I favor in Battle Gelato.  To me, Grom has Amorino beat hands down.  It just seems to be made with the best quality ingredients possible and in a manner that makes it a perfect consistency.  Believe me, many taste tests were made before coming to this determination.  So many in fact that the people at Grom now know me and say things like, '"See you tomorrow," which is a bit embarassing.  But, hey, you only live once, right?  And I certainly only live once around the corner from the best gelato known to man.  So, I'm over my embarrassment. 

The fact that Grom is the victor does not mean that Amorino is not good.  It's just not as awesome in my humble opinion as Grom.  So, if you stumble across an Amorino (and with 13 stores in Paris that is highly likely) while in town, go in with an open mind.  You will not be disappointed.

Just for good time's sake, let's take another gander at the victor of Battle Gelato!


Grom
81 Rue de Seine
6th Arrondisement
Paris


Amorino
Multiple Locations
Paris

4 comments:

Erica - haveninparis said...

Having tried Grom ( I dicovered it in Torino where it is undeniably better) and Amorino, I have to say that hands down Pozzetto wins! I know you do not mention it here, but they are amazing. And they serve real Italian coffee as well. They have two locations in Paris

Pozzetto – 39, rue du Roi de Sicile Paris 4eme Metro St Paul or Hotel de Ville
21, rue de Levis Paris 17eme Metro Villiers

I strongly recommend. - Erica (hipparis.com)

Pink Slip Gourmet said...

Erica -

You have given me yet another reason to return to Paris ASAP!

girl singing in the wreckage said...

Dyou have any idea where I could take a short (say 5-day) course in gelato making in Paris? Love the blog title!

Thanks,
kalli

Pink Slip Gourmet said...

Unfortunately, I do not know off the top of my head of a place in Paris that specifically teaches gelato making. You might want to ask David Lebovtiz. Here is his blog: www.davidlebovitz.com