Friday, April 9, 2010

Steak Frites, Mais Oui!

Walking out of Le Relais de L'Entrecote last week, I had a hard time deciding the following:  Was it the biggest shame that I had just discovered this haven of steak frites with such a short amount of time left in Paris or was it best for my waistline that I had just now found this one of a kind establishment?  I'm leaning towards the former, but plan to make up for lost time before coming back to the States.

At Le Relais, it is steak frites, steak frites and more steak frites.  In fact, they only ask you two questions upon arrival: how do you want your steak cooked and what do you want to drink?  Acceptable answers are: saignant (medium rare) and a bottle of Bordeaux.  For those of you thinking that I mean that they only ask you two questions if you order the steak frites, think again.  There is nothing else to order.  That's all they serve.  And why would they serve anything else when they do steak frites so well?

A delicious salad with walnuts and a spicy mustard dressing is brought to every table pronto, accompanied of course by the requisite baguette.

Next comes heaven on a plate.  It doesn't really look like that does it?  Normally I am a serious hater of a steak with a bunch of sauce poured over it.  However, this sauce is ridiculous.  And by ridiculous I mean ridiculously awesome.  So, don't question it.  Just go with it.  You will thank me later.  The fries are crisp, thin and tasty just like they should be for this dish. 

As I soaked up the last bit of sauce with my last french fry and looked around the restaurant, I thought, "It sure would be nice to have a few more fries, but I'm glad I don't because I would seriously not be able to show restraint."

Just as I finished that thought, the waitress came by our table with a tray of seconds.  Yes.  Seconds!  Um, what?  We didn't ask for any more.  I'm not saying I turned it down, although I should have.  I'm just saying we certainly didn't request this.  Apparently, it is just par for the course.  The portions are so big here that they serve them in two courses.  Ha!  How great is that?


Three locations in Paris:

20, rue Saint-Benoît
6th Arrondisement

15, rue Marbeuf
8th Arrondisement

101, boulevard du Montparnasse
6th Arrondisement