Friday, April 2, 2010

Lyon Food Shops

By now you probably think I've changed the blog to Pink Slip Gourmet in Lyon, but I haven't.  It's just that there is so much to share from my time there, especially when it comes to food.  Today, I bring you all the "food shops" I visited while roaming the city.  And by "food shops," I essentially mean all the patisseries, boulangeries, chocolatiers, and the one actual local food shop I tried in the name of food research.

   La Marquise d'En Face is a lovely food shop/tea room that both sells local favorites and serves them too.  It's a tiny little place, but a perfect pit stop (excuse the expression) in old town after a long day of sight-seeing.

Quaint looking, isn't it?

Bags of pink pralines, a local specialty.

They are frequently used to make tarts (among other goodies) that are seen all over town.  I had never seen anything like it before, so I snagged both a bag of the pralines and a piece of the tart.  Unfortunately, I never tasted the pralines themselves (although I had my fair share of tart slices) because I set them down at a restaurant where I was having lunch and forgot them.  When I returned an hour or so later after realizing my devastating loss, they were no where in sight.  Who steals a little sachet of pralines?  I mean, really, people.

Another favorite stop was the Boulangerie du Palais.

It was tiny, but the smell of fresh baked breads was intoxicating.

They even had brioches made with the local pralines.

On my way to check out another Chocolatier, I ran across this one, Tourtiller, and figured the more the merrier. 

The shop was clean, modern and filled to the brim with almost every kind of chocolate confection you could desire.

Like these little chocolate fish. 

Bernachon was the chocolate shop I was originally headed for and don't worry, I made it there.

It had some gorgeous looking cakes and pastries in the window.

The store was huge compared to the amount of things they had for sale.

The sales staff was happy to accommodate my every chocolate desire.  This place did not disappoint; the chocolate was extremely flavorful.

Another day in Lyon, I found this shop by accident.  Perroudon.

I was intrigued by what I thought looked like quite large tuiles in the window.  When I entered the store to investigate further, I was told they were indeed tuiles.  There must have been seven or eight different types.  Heaven!

I chose this one.  It was chocolate, almond and toffee.  Yum!

La Marquise d'En Face
66 rue Saint-Jean
Lyon

Boulangerie du Palais
8 Rue Palais de Justice
Lyon

Tourtiller
4 Cours Franklin Roosevelt
Lyon

Bernachon
42 cours Franklin Roosevelt
Lyon


Perroudon
6 Rue Barre
Lyon

No comments: