Wednesday, April 28, 2010

St. Malo - Restaurants

It should come as no surprise that when in St. Malo I sought out the best restaurants.  The first night we ate at a St. Malo institution called A La Duchesse Anne.  If I am not mistaken, it has a Michelin star.  It was in all the guidebooks, etc.  Thus, we dined there and enjoyed ourselves.  However, I left there knowing that there just had to be even better food in the tiny walled town. 

I was right, and it was small place called Bouche en Folie.  How did I find such a teeny little gem without knowing the town?  Well, I asked the locals of course.  That is a rule of thumb to live by when traveling.  Ask the locals - they always know what is best. 

We also stumbled upon a creperie while on our bike ride outside the city and just happened to be famished.  Leaving brittany without eating a crepe would have been sacrilegious, and who wants to be that?  So, of course we stopped and ate there. 

Photos of all these adventures are below. 

A la Duchesse Anne was very traditional.

I started with gratin of langoustines.

While B had two types of oysters.  Seafood really is the way to go when you are on the coast.  You just can't go wrong with something so fresh.

For his main course of lobster, B was brought an assortment of cutlery.  Impressive and intimidating all at the same time, right?

Even more impressive, though, had to be this bib which was tied on by the waitress herself.

The long awaited lobster.

My sole meuniere.

Ok, so these frites did not come with what we ordered but I got a whif of them from a neighboring table and quickly put in a request for them to grace our table as well.  Can you blame me? 

Ah, the cheese course, something I will miss dearly when I am back stateside.

Creme caramel for me.

Tarte tatin for B.

Creme fraiche that appeared to be, well, really fresh came with the tart.  Now, that is French.

Don't worry.  This was not the next course at A la Duchesse Anne.  This was the crepe we ate on the sojourn from our bike ride.  Obviously, it is a savory crepe, which they call a galette.  Filled with cheese, eggs and bacon I didn't care what they called it, I just wanted them to bring it to me stat.

They also brought a lovely green salad, some frites and a bottle of local cider.  A picturesque lunch in Brittany.

Now for the main event: Bouche en Folie.

While the restaurant maybe seats 25 people, each table is well thought out.  Details are attended to and clients appear to be king. 

Started with a crispy beef ravioli and sweet potato puree.

As well as marinated salmon with creme fraiche.

A steak with delicious crispy potatoes (wrapped in bacon, mind you) and an apple compote was a perfect main dish.

B loved his cabillaud (codfish) and asparagus.

To end the meal: a café gourmand.  Espresso accompanied by a variety of tiny desserts.  Perfection.

A La Duchesse Anne
5, Place Guy La Chambre
St. Malo
02 99 40 85 33

Bouche en Folie
14, Rue du boyer
St. Malo

No comments: