Saturday, January 9, 2010

Last Service

Wednesday dinner and Thursday lunch were our last restaurant services at Ferrandi.  I can't believe culinary school is almost over.  While services in the past have gone ok with a few minor (and some major) hiccups, the last service went almost eerily well.  There seemed to be no mishaps, people were calm and collected, and the plates looked better than ever.  I'm not sure if that was a product of how far we have come since September or if we all just subconsiously knew we needed to do that on our way out.  Either way, it was a breath of fresh air (or fishy air in my case) to finally have a smooth service. 

Speaking of fishy air, you guessed it - I was on the fish course (again) for service.  The plate was simple - "risotto" of quinoa, topped with the fish, surrounded by an oyster sauce, and accompanied by what I can only describe as a seaweed salad.  Despite the simplicity or maybe due to it, people loved the plate.

Here are some photos I managed to snap before and during service:


It was the fish vs. me.  I won.


And then I tackled the oysters.  In case you ever need someone to shuck an oyster, call me.


Cooking the quinoa.


Kyoko chopping the algae and seaweed into tiny pieces.


The final plate.


Leo's black rice.


Cooking his fig-stuffed quail - yum!


Leo's final plate.


Estee's juice ball concoction.


Plating her dish.


Estee's final plate - millefeuille of foie gras and eel.


This, my friends, is pigeon with a grilled pear that Groupe A produced for service.  I'm all over the grilled pear - looks great.  I just still can't get this image out of my mind when eating pigeon, though.

No comments: