Friday, January 8, 2010

Starbucks to the Rescue

I have never been a fan of Starbucks' entrance into France.  In my opinion, Starbucks can expand everywhere else in the world, but its expansion into France has always depressed me.  Why?  Well, because in my mind France is filled with unique cafes where locals and tourists alike can enjoy a delicious, hot cup of coffee or hot chocolate in an ambience that cannot be matched anywhere else.  Let's be honest, when you think of France I bet this comes to mind: a little sidewalk cafe with French people in berets, smoking cigarettes, drinking coffee, and being snooty.  Don't lie, you know that's what you envision.  The fact that Starbucks has invaded that vision of France has made me mad, or at the very least sad. 



That is until tonight when I was walking home from the 8th arrondisement (an hour walk) in absolutely bone-chilling weather, and then Starbucks became a warm haven.  When I saw the bright sign, I didn't even hesitate.  I popped in, warmed up in the long line (the French have definitely embraced this corporate chain - don't listen to anyone who tells you otherwise), and then had a hot drink to enjoy on my long walk home.  For a little while tonight, Starbucks became my savior, my knight in shining armor, my best friend.  Just please don't tell anyone. :)

No comments: