Monday, January 18, 2010

Final Exam

I had promised by the end of the weekend to update you on everything about our last week at Ferrandi.  Well, there is just too much to update!  I can't just give it all to you at once.  You would be on Pink Slip Gourmet overload.  However, I will stay true to my word and give you a rundown on the final exam.

The morning of the final exam, I was pumped.  I knew all the recipes and was ready to take on whatever the Chefs threw my way.  I woke up early, reviewed the recipes one more time, ate a filling breakfast and was on my way.  Walking out the door, I was surprised to find this...


Snow!  Again.  Not just tiny flurries, but huge, blizzard-like snowflakes.  Off to the metro I went since walking 20 minutes in a snowstorm is not my way of starting out on the right foot.

I arrived early, thanks to the metro, and was quickly shooed away from the kitchen where we would have our test.  Many people have been asking me if it was a written test.  No, this is Ferrandi; it was all about skill.  The test was purely practical.  Chef Sebastian came in at 8 am on the dot and handed us our assignments: quiche lorraine and blanquette de veau.  A huge sigh of relief escaped from me.  I had no questions about either recipe and quickly got to work on writing out a game plan.  Unfortunately, I had chosen the last space; I would be sixth to start the test and sixth to plate. Being last ended up working out fine, though.  For the most part, the group (Leo and Carleta from group B and three others from Group A) taking the test was calm, worked clean, and exuded confidence.  The judges walking around inspecting our work and asking us questions didn't even ruffle out feathers too much (ok, maybe a little, but like I said not too much). 


The judges being presented a dish.  In my next life, I'd like to be them.  They were given good food (for the most part) and bottomless wine and baguettes.  Not a bad gig.

At 12:25 pm, I plated and presented my two quiche lorraine. At 12:45, I did the same for my blanquette de veau, accompanied by rice pilaf. I felt good about all my dishes except the rice. It  was too sticky, but at least the flavor was ok. Overall, I was very happy with my work and know that I did my best that day.


In the Garde Manger after finishing the test with all the dishes from that day.  Woo hoo!  See how relaxed I am?  There was only one thing left to do...


Imbibe with fellow test takers from Group B.

No comments: