Sunday, January 10, 2010

Pork Chop, Pork Chop, Greasy, Greasy

Remember how I said that if I never had to debone a rack of lamb again, it would still be too soon? Well, when wishing to never have to do that again, I should have included any piece of meat that comes on a rack.

On Friday I wasn't given a rack of lamb to debone, but instead two racks of pork. Joy! One piece of pork was for a roast, so it was a bit easier to debone considering I didn't have to keep the rib bones. The other piece of pork was for bone-in pork chops. Apparently, according to Chef, it was necessary to keep the rib bones for that recipe. At the very least, I got more practice working on racks whether I’m a fan of it or not. At this point, I feel like saying, bring on all the racks you can. Go ahead - throw me into the rack gauntlet, because I am ready! However, I just feel like saying that. I'm not actually saying that. There's a difference.

I might add that I almost didn't make it to the pork deboning session. You see, it's freezing here in gay ol’ Paris, and I had spent the morning walking through nasty snow-filled streets and blistery winds to get to school. Upon my arrival, I changed into newly washed chef's pants that were not quite dry and having been in my backpack on the way to school were, thus, essentially frozen pants. I mustered all the fortitude I could, put on a brave face, buttoned the (tight) pants, and hurried my cold tush up to the kitchen.

We were in a new kitchen that day; one that is rarely used. As I walked past the swinging doors of the kitchen, a blast of arctic air hit me. No lie. Jumping out of the way of this freakishly cold wind, I realized that, unfortunately, this was the kitchen we were working in that day. Wearing frozen pants and the rest of my body still not warm due to the walk to school, I quickly decided I didn't need to have a lesson on pork. Pork and I were good. I would be just fine without it.

Too bad I got suckered into staying because Carleta, the sous-chef for the week, needed help turning on the huge stove and ovens in order to warm up the room. I couldn't say no to her as she shivered from head to toe inside the frozen abyss of a kitchen. So, I forced myself to put on the brave face I had earlier (you know the one I lost when hit by the arctic air) and walked into the kitchen. It was colder than I imagined. Who knew you could see your breath while actually inside a building? After about 15 minutes of not being able to turn on the stove, Chef Sebastian from Group A finally came to our aid. It's amazing how fast a stove the size of the one below can warm up a room. I highly recommend one if you have the space. :)



Surely this will fit into your kitchen.


Carleta and Estee warming up next to the oven before the stove was finally turned on.

Pork Roast


The two racks - my mortal enemies (ok, maybe I'm exaggerating a bit).


Chef showing us how to get the roast off the bone.


Finally, using his cleaver to hack off part of it .


Leaving the rib bones all alone.


And this beautiful piece of meat ready to be cooked.


Into the Staub it goes with butter and oil, mind you.


Out it comes and in goes the bones and the "veg."


Everything back in the staub and into the oven it goes.


It comes out looking like this with a delicious jus to accompany it.

Pork Chops with Mustard Sauce


On to the pork chops, where the boned had to stay intact.


Cutting the chops.


Ready for some butter, oil, and a hot pan.


Already looking good.


Even better!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That looks awesome!!!