Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Charming Parisian Streets

I love all the tiny side streets in Paris; the city is literally filled with them. I enjoy leisurely walking down them, window shopping (or as the French say, lèche-vitrine, which literally means window licking), and popping into small boulangeries/patisseries here and there. 

What I happen to not enjoy is this:







You see, some streets in Paris are so small that if someone is, as in the above case, hauling a bunch of meat carcasses somewhere, traffic is at a standstill.  Parisians typically wait patiently for a while (much longer than any New Yorker would wait, that's for sure), but then the honking begins.  This is quickly followed by French expletives being spit out of car windows, and cigarettes being lit for no apparent reason.

The noise completely ruins the whole, "I'm in a quaint neighborhood of Paris just whiling away my day peacefully" thing that I usually have going.  However, I must admit there is an easy fix - simply pop down another charming side street, walk a block and re-immerse oneself in Paris "fantasy land."  The people in the cars certainly cannot do that, so at the very least you've got one up on them.  Plus, they will be there for hours while you stroll on, quickly forgetting the chaos as you leisurely reimmerse yourself in a new, quaint neighborhood just waiting to be discovered. 

No comments: