Saturday, September 12, 2009

Saturday Morning Market

I plan to visit all the markets in Paris and get to know them well. I have no doubt that Marché Saxe Breteuil, which I visited this morning, will become a favorite. It was very clean and upscale. The produce was some of the freshest I have ever seen. The meat and seafood counters weren't covered in bees and flies like at other outdoor markets, which was nice for a change. Plus, the cuts of meat and the wide variety of fish was outstanding. They even had a vendor who only sold offal (internal organs like brains, livers, kidneys, etc). There was one vendor whose speciality appeared to be cow feet, ears and snouts!!! Yes, snouts. I would have taken a photo, but the French are weird about people taking photos of their goods/produce. I snuck a few in, though, and they are below.


View of the Eiffel Tower from the market.


Flower vendor


Random market pic


Oyster vendor

For those of you who have an affinity for Peter Cottontail, perhaps you should not scroll down any further...
The French love to eat rabbit, and when done well so does my husband. Seeing a skinned rabbit in a case at a market is as commonplace as seeing steaks. However, NEVER in my life have I seen just lifeless rabbits next to some dead birds. I literally let out an audible scream when I happened upon it because it was so out of place to me.

No comments: