Sunday, September 20, 2009

8 Miles (No, not 8 mile like Eminem)

Today, I walked 8 miles while discovering new parts of Paris. It's a good thing I did all that walking considering what you see below was my breakfast. When the boulangerie didn't have an almond croissant, I simply decided chocolate cake was sufficient :)






Today was "La Journée du Patrimoine" so all of the government buildings were open to the public. I visited L'Institut de France and La Monnaie, and surprisingly among all the random French people that were there, only one of them smelled bad! At L'Institut de France, I visited a library that was constructed in the 1600's by Cardinal Mazarin. It is France's oldest library still in use. In the same courtyard, I visited the building where those who are in the world of Academia gather to discuss science and the arts.




Entrance to L'Institut de France




Inside the courtyard of L'Institut de France



In the library



In the Academia building



Where all the uber smart people debate things



Front facade of L'Institut


At La Monnaie, I saw where originally money and now special medals are made. Pretty cool. It also had random rooms on the second floor that looked more like Versailles than a place where people make coins, but then again opulence is one thing France gets right.


Entrance to La Monnaie



Man making commemorative coins out of an old coin press



Random opulent room at La Monnaie



Ceiling at La Monnaie



Another fancy room in La Monnaie



Shortly after leaving my tour of the government buildings, I stumbled upon a special market. I just can't keep away from them; I'm drawn to them like a magnet. The market was right on the lower banks of the river below Notre Dame and specialized in things from Southwest France. Think rabbit, paté, foie gras, etc. The highlight, outside of the free samples being given away, was the group of drummers who gave the market an upbeat feeling.


Drum squad



Market of Southwest France on the river



One of the vendors



Slabs and slabs of chocolate!!!



Next, I trekked way out of my neighborhood to go to another special market that happens only once a year in Paris. It's sort of like a festival in that there are booths and music is playing. However, whatever product is sold there must be from the area in and around Paris, which was fun to see. You think of Paris as such an urban area, but there was a lot of fresh produce, cheeses, honey products, sausages and wine for sale at the market today.



Did I mention the fresh baked baguettes?



Sausages, Salami, etc.



Ran into some of my classmates (Cason from U.S and the hip Estee from Holland)



Oil being made at the market. The weird long string coming out of the machine is the residue from making the oil. Never seen anything like that before!



Even more bizarre was the soap made out of Ostrich oil.



Finally, I made my way home through the Jardins des Plantes, which I did not even know existed. It is gorgeous and made my long walk worth every minute.















Video of the drummers. Sorry for the grainy appearance. Not sure why that happened.

No comments: