Thursday, September 3, 2009

Groupe B

We were assigned our groups today. I'm in Groupe B and will spend most of my time with only this group. There are 10 of us right now (1-2 more may come soon). The other nationalities in my group include: Brazil, Japan, Haiti, Finland, Venezuela, and Holland. Our chef is named Stephane, and he is from the south of France. The best part is...there is a doctor in my group. That means that if I happen to slice off a finger, at least he will be there to put it back on. Here's to hoping that won't ever happen!

A quick photo of the kitchen and some of my classmates.


So, as I mentioned before, I walk to school every day. Along my walk, I go through a tiny cobblestone street that Benjamin Franklin used to use to go to one of his favorite Paris restaurants, Le Procope, which is still in business today. Below is a photo of the street, which is not conducive to those who like to imbibe late at night and then walk home.

Finally, B and I went to dinner at La Fontaine de Mars tonight. B had duck confit and I had steak frites, which is a bill of health if I've ever heard of one. Only in France does it seem perfectly normal to eat duck in its own fat and red meat whose sole side dish is fried potatoes. And again only in France does it seem perfectly natural to follow that with a ridiculous dessert. Our choice tonight? Ile Flottante (floating island). It's a huge piece of baked meringue (the island) on a 'sea' of creme anglaise, otherwise known as the awesomeness you see below. I'm fairly sure it's not on the P90X diet plan.

No comments: