Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Indentured Servant or Stagiare?

Before everyone starts to think that all I do is just gallivant around Europe, I better get back to blogging about my everyday life.  That is, my long hours at the restaurant as a stagiare.

I know that recent posts about my stage may lead you, dear reader, to believe that I am essentially leading an indentured servant's life at the restaurant; that I am paying my dues for three months by peeling vegetables, using the scary mandoline, and cleaning up behind everyone.  However, I must say that this isn't actually the case.  Do I do all of those things?  Yes.  Is that all I do?  No.

So far, I have worked in both the garde manger (prepping, cooking and plating the appetizers that are ordered) and the hot line (prepping, cooking, and plating the scallops, pork, and salmon dishes that are ordered).  Sometimes I question their sanity for letting a brand new stagiare take on some of the things they let me do, but if they are crazy enough to let me try then bring it on. I want to do and learn as much as possible.  We shall see what the weeks ahead bring my way.  It should be interesting.  Stay tuned...

No comments: