Monday, February 22, 2010

Graduation Trip: Zell am See

While in Zell am See, I gave you a mid-trip update.  So, if you read that you know that Zell am See is a skiing destination, and I am not a fan of skiing.  However, I am a fan of the gorgeous scenery, small-town feeling, and fresh mountain air.  Check out the landscape.  Amazing, isn't it?

View from our hotel window.

Our cute little Austrian hotel called The Romantik.

More views from the room.

And again.

Just after arriving, I looked out the window into a courtyard to see a man standing in the freezing cold with a huge pot of gluwein (mulled wine).  I like gluwein as much as the next guy, but who wants to stand in below freezing temps for no reason?

Well, there turned out to be a reason, actually.  There was a wedding (see the bride in white) and the man was serving the guests gluwein.  Why it had to be made outside is still a mystery, but it added to the charm of the place.

Walking around Zell am See.

Seeing what the town has to offer. 

Our first night there, you could see the sun setting over the mountains and it was breathtaking.

What else was breathtaking was the "spa" area of the hotel.  There was not only an inside and outside semi-heated pool, but also those awesome sheer red curtains you see. 

Outside pool.  Just a wee bit chilly!

The "spa" gets even better because there are waterbeds with the same sheer curtains where one can lie down and relax.  At this point, I was beginning to realize the meaning of the name of the hotel (The Romantik) and was starting to get worried there would be a basket a la 1970's to drop the room key in on the way into the spa if you catch my drift.  Luckily, that was not the case. 

Dinner that night was quite good.  We started with sun-dried tomatoes and parma ham.

B went on to get weiner schnitzel.

And I got spinach dumplings.  Now, this is not what I was envisioning when I ordered spinach dumplings.  For some reason I had more of a gnocchi type thing in mind, but let me tell you this did not disappoint.  It was really good despite its presentation.

One night we went down to the frozen lake.

And took a stroll.

It was truly beautiful and peaceful.

I'd move there if they made a bunny slope for me on the mountain in Zell am See.  Somehow, I don't think that is going to happen, though.

Our apres-ski destination - the fireplace at the hotel.

We woke up to snow the second day we were there and it pretty much didn't stop until we left.

Up the ski lift we went.  At this point, I was getting a bit nervous.

Because I was realizing just how steep the mountain was.

And just how much of a beginner I am.

Then, when you add in masses of people skiing at you at lightning speed.

You realize it's better to cut your losses and head one town over to the bunny slope.

Look at B, he even carried my skis for me.

View of the partially frozen lake from the ski lift.

The next day, I let B take on the slopes solo. 

But I did meet him for lunch on top of the mountain.

Where we saw hot air balloons.

And ate this greatness.

We'll be back Zell am See.

No comments: