Thursday, February 25, 2010

I Plead Guilty Your Honor

I found myself in the first arrondisement yesterday afternoon, looking for a place to help subside my hunger.  A patisserie called 215 on rue Saint Honoré did just that.  In fact, everything looked so good and I was so hungry that I must admit that I succumbed to what can only be called temporary insanity due to French pastry overload.  Surely you know that condition.  Where you think it is absolutely normal to purchase THREE pastries at once; where you think said pastries can't really have all that many calories in them; where you convince yourself anything with nuts must be healthy.  In other words, when you totally lose your senses because you are starving, in Paris, and surrounded by tempting pastries.

Here, my friends, are the products of my temporary insanity and I plead gulity.

Tarte citron, fondant au chocolat, and a nameless caramel tart with nuts. 

I carefully took a bite of each one.  The lemon tart was exactly that - tart and perfect.  The chocolate one was just gooey enough in the center to make it melt on your tongue.  The caramel nut confection, however, was by far the best.  It was so outstanding that I didn't take another bite of the lemon or the chocolate and without any hesitation destroyed the rest of the caramel nut tart.  Don't worry, I asked for a to go bag for the other two.  They will not go to waste.

The moral of this story?  If you ever find yourself on Rue St. Honoré in Paris, head towards number 215 and allow yourself to fall prey to their many delicacies.  Although the establishment doesn't have the charm of an old-school French patisserie, it makes up for that in scrumptious pastries. 

Note: 215 also sells several kinds of sandwiches, salads and quiches which can be eaten sur place (there) or à emporter (to go).

215
215 Rue St. Honoré
1st Arrondisement
Paris

No comments: