Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Things you see in Paris: Part Deux

Back in September, I posted part one of "Things You See in Paris," and seeing that it is almost mid-November, I think it is high time that Part Deux be unveiled.  I know you have all been asking yourself when this day would arrive.  So, without further ado, here are a few random things one finds while strolling the streets of gay Paris.

This vending machine was in the health center I had to visit in order for the French government to deem me suitable to stay in its country for longer than 3 months.  Needless to say, the French health care system should not exactly be a role model for other countries.  The facility was old, and I'm not even sure those people were doctors.  Anyway, the point is that I was certain I would catch ye olde swine flu while there so I tried my best to sit very still, not breathe at all and stare straight forward (yes, if you are wondering, those are all CDC approved ways to avoid catching H1N1).  It just so happens that the above vending machine was in my direct line of sight.  At first glance, it seemed harmless enough.  Just another French coffee vending machine - the French CANNOT live without at least 45 coffees a day.  Then I realized that two of the bottom selections were soup.  Yep.  Right after the person in front of you orders an espresso that shoots out into a little cup that the machine dispenses, you yourself can order "veloute de legume" or "veloute de tomates" that will shoot out the same hole into another little cup that the machine dispenses.  Somehow I don't think it is only my food snob factor that is grossing me out about that situation.  There is just something inherently wrong with it.  Don't you agree?

This, my friends, is haute couture in Paris.  Love it or hate it, a silk sleeveless shirt with a pink wolf is headed your way in a year or so America.  Either brace yourselves or unlock your inner she-wolf a la Shakira.
No.  Despite the fact that B and I have wholeheartedly embraced the French tradition of wine at every meal, we are not alcoholics.  We did not order an entire bottle of vodka at dinner.   In fact, there is no vodka in that bottle.  It's water.  In restaurants, we usually order a carafe of water which typically comes in an old glass bottle that surely has never been washed, but is better than 7 Euros worth of salty Evian.  However, every once in a while, a restaurant will get inventive and use a different type of bottle for their water.  I am a fan of this one. 


I have absolutely no explanation for this.  Apparently in 21st century Paris, packs of donkeys still roam the streets.

No comments: