Monday, November 16, 2009

Burgundy Wine Tasting

At first, it seemed a bit bizarre to start my morning with wine tasting, but it's sad to say that I have become accustomed to it.  Our most recent wine class started out with this...


A freshly baked pain au chocolat from the school's boulangerie (with a ridiculous amount of chocolat, I might add).

Which is a good thing because I had not had breakfast and the tasting room we were in apparently did not have a working heater so it was FREEZING. Two things I might hate the worst in the world are being cold and being hungry. So, at the very least, I was now fed.

The wine teacher finally figured out how to turn on the heater after her 90 minute lecture and then promptly used the barely radiating heat to warm up the cheese and the wine because they were not at optimal temperatures for tasting. (Note how she figured out the heater once she realized the wine and cheese were too cold but not when everyone was still wearing their scarves and coats).



Cheese and wine warming up.

My mood improved during tasting and why shouldn't it? Whoever is unable to be in a good mood with two white burgundy wines and one red burgundy wine, plus fresh bread from the school's boulangerie and delicious cheese with just the right amount of stinkiness either needs a smack across the head or some stong meds because that scenario is basically heaven on earth. (In my opinion, of course).



The two whites, tasted side by side.


The carton for the yummy new cheese I discovered: Maroilles.  It's slightly creamy and strong without being overbearing.  You simply must taste it if you get the chance.  I believe it comes from the Picardie region of France, which is just north of Paris.

No comments: