Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Lyon

Friday brought our last regional menu before the holidays, and man was it a FEAST!  We had six courses, every one of them delicious and unique to the Lyon area.  By the end of the meal, I was secretly hoping that Santa's elves would show up to clean the kitchen for us, but I guess they had toys to make because they certainly did not show up.


To the delight of my Louisiana raised heart, I found these creatures trying to escape the kitchen upon my arrival on Friday morning.


They didn't get very far.


This is the story of an 85 Euro chicken.  Yes, you read that correctly - EIGHTY-FIVE EUROS!  It is a Bresse chicken, which as you can assume, is a very prized bird from the Lyon region.  It was my job to break it down and prepare it.  I've never been so nervous with a chicken before in my whole life.  I mean, It costs about 83 Euros more than any normal chicken, so you can see my hesitancy in just hacking into it with abandon.


As you can see by this medal around it's head and the mullet it is rocking, this chicken is definitely worth the price.


After sparing you the photos of burning off the feathers, giving it a "french manicure," and gutting it, I couldn't resist showing you the ridiculous amount of fat in this bird.  Unbelievable.  I guess that is why it tasted so good!


We shaved a truffle.


And then stuck the shavings under the skin of Mr. Fancy Pants Chicken.


Next, the chicken went into a sock.


And got dunked into a stock to cook for a couple hours at a low temperature.


Kyoko made a beautiful brioche.


Chef seems to approve as the brioche comes out of the oven.  Maybe he was really just thinking, "Only a few more hours with these culinary amateurs and I'm outta here for 2 weeks!"


Waiters in training setting up our table.


 Fromage blanc avec herbes.


Saucisson en brioche (a delicious sausage baked in brioche).  Who doesn't love a huge version of a pig in a blanket?


Souffle a champignons et emmenthal.  Cheese and mushroom souffle prepared by Leo.


Quenelles avec ecrivesses.  A fish dumpling in a crawfish bisque.  AWESOME.


Poularde a demi-deuil. (Half mourning chicken).


I'm not sure there is a French translation for chocolate chip cookie ice cream sandwich, but there should be.  It was awesome and was accompanied by vanilla whipped cream and beignets.


Oops.


"Did I do that," asked Kyoko.


Yep, I guess so.  Maybe too much wine, which by the way was all Italian wine since we forgot to order the French stuff.  So, money was pooled, the sous-chef headed down to a neighboring Italian wine shop and voila - we had wine!


See you in 2010, Groupe B.

No comments: