Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Final Tally

Eggs - 1.5 Me -2.5

Battle Egg has ended and I emerged victoriously, but just barely (kind of like LSU v. Georgia last weekend).

The kitchen was murderously hot today with all the stoves and ovens on full blast. People literally were sweating like it was a sauna. Hot, sticky and smelling like eggs is an interesting combination - one that I do not wish to repeat voluntarily anytime soon. Therefore, I am taking a stand and abstaining from eggs for the near future. And just yesterday I was the one saying how much I loved eggs. I still do, but truth be told, eggs and I need a break. We're going to give each other some space over the weekend.

This is how things went down today. We had four egg recipes to do: Eggs poached in red wine, "Portuguese" scrambled eggs, baked eggs and an omelette.

Eggs poached in red wine: By far, the winner here was the egg. First of all, the eggs were not very fresh and so did not hold together well. Then, since red wine is not exactly a clear liquid, it makes it difficult to find the egg once you have dropped it into the wine to poach. After several failed attempts to find my eggs in the vat of red wine, I started poaching them inside a ladle in the wine. However, I was runnning a bit behind and thus undercooked my eggs. Therefore, when plating the eggs later, the yolks broke. Boo. At least the garnish of croutons, bacon, mushrooms and onions were cooked well. So, it wasn't a complete disaster!

"Portuguese" scrambled eggs: Americans would scoff at these scrambled eggs, but they were delicious. They were extremely soft and creamy and had almost the consistency and look of grits instead of eggs. They were topped with a tomato compote. Chef approved my dish. Another victory for me!

Baked eggs: This one was a wash because the oven was malfunctioning and thus the fact that the egg was overcooked and undercooked at the same time was not my fault. Phew. That was a close one. I was so glad to know it wasn't something I had done incorrectly!

Omelettes: Well, I made 4 omelettes tonight. None of them great, none of them terrible. Chef has a very specific way of making and plating an omelette so he made us do it over and over again. I call this one a tie.


Steaming hot kitchen we shared today with Group A.



Vat of red wine for poaching.



Sad, little purple poached egg.



Tomato compote.


Scrambled Eggs.

No comments: