Sunday, November 22, 2009

Fried Pig Ears, Anyone?

We had service on Wednesday and Thursday this week and I was in charge of the main dish with two other students.  Unfortunately, that number dwindled to two after one of my partners realized all the raw shellfish she had eaten that morning was rudely not agreeing with her stomach.  So, it was down to two of us to produce the Jarret de Porc dish for the restaurant.  In a nutshell, the dish is VERY French.  I am fairly sure there aren't too many other countries that love to roll pig leg and pig cheeks together and then top it with non other than slices of fried pig ears.  Here's a more detailed look into that for you...


We cooked pig feet, thighs and cheeks covered in a veal stock over night in the oven.


Yep.  Then came the pig ears.  I roasted them quickly and then cooked them in a court bouillon.


Out they came and Chef was so excited to taste them.  He LOVES them and so made me taste them.  Let's just say I don't share the same sentiment.  I mean, when I cut into it I found what you see in the photo above.  Yes.  Those are unequivocally hairs inside the pig ear.  Gross.


Here is our rolled pig thighs and pig cheeks, which were sauteed, glazed with a sauce and then finished in the oven.


This was the final dish.  The pork was on top of a bed of lentils and then topped with two pieces of fried pig ears!

Now for some photos from the rest of service:


The oysters we shucked that morning went to good use.


As did the scallops.


Chef's famous terrine of duck confit, artichokes, potatoes and Spec ham.  Delicieux!


There was also a salmon dish.


And a lamb dish.

But I am fairly certain none of those compared to the pig ears. 

No comments: