Monday, August 31, 2009

A Day in Gay Paris

Ignoring the laundry, today was a great day. I woke up and went for a run along the Seine. It is surreal to jog along a river in a city that is so rich in history. I mean, the building I live in was built in 1630 - one hundred and forty six years before the U.S. declared independence from the Brits (who happen to be all over Paris in August). I just feel so lucky and blessed to be here and intend to not take it for granted for one minute. How can I when this is what I see every time I walk out the front door of my building:


After grocery shopping and laundry, Brad and I ate at a delicious bistro called Le Comptoir, which is usually standing room only to wait for a table. However, we didn't go until 2 p.m. so we were able to get right in. Good thing we weren't starving because the waiters were stereotypically not interested in us in the least. We took everything in stride as only ex-pats can do and enjoyed the scenery and second-hand smoke. The food they brought us was absolutely delicious. Brad's cochon de lait (suckling pig) was the winner until they brought out this awesomeness, and I forgot that the waiters had been ignoring me all afternoon.

Tarte aux Pommes



After such an indulgent lunch, a long walk down St. Germain des Pres was in order. Although, I must admit that we walked straight to Paris's oldest and most famous department store in search not for the lastest fashion, but for the luxurious food hall that it has. La Grande Epicerie is across the street from Le Bon Marche and it does not disappoint. Among all the French delicacies you can find none other than Dr. Pepper and boxed Mac & Cheese. And while I haven't ingested either of those things in about ten years, for some reason it brings me some solace and comfort to know that I can get them if I really want them - a little piece of home!

U.S. and Canadian Aisle:



4 comments:

Nikhil said...

Hi Lee!!!! got your email. :) congrats on your move... hope you keep this blog up and running

The Allen's said...

Loving the blog, Lee! I am sure to be stalking y'all all the way through France.

Unknown said...

Lee! I'm obsessed with the market at Bon Marche. They have the best sliced salami there. I found myself eating half of it just waiting for the bus home! So glad I get to keep up with you through this blog.

xoxo,
Ash

Missy said...

ahhh there IS dr. pepper there! i love it!! have the time of your life! xoxo missy