Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Roussillon (and the perilous trip getting there)

Renting a car is the way to go in the south of France.  While the roads might be iffy, the scenery is gorgeous and well worth getting lost every time.  My day trip from Aix-en-Provence included a trip to Roussillon and Gordes.  Today, I show you my trip from Aix to Roussillon.  I might have referred to it as perilous, but I think it is safe to say that is a bit of an exaggeration.  It was actually really fun.  So fun in fact I hated that I had no one to share it with until I realized I had all of you.  So, take this trip with me... 

Not far outside of town, the road became small but everything else became vast.  I found myself wanting to stop every few minutes to just take in the fresh air and beautiful rolling hills.

Not to mention the occasional chateau I would pass surrounded by vineyards.

This bridge merited me stopping the car, getting out and taking it all in for a few minutes.

Winding through the backroads has huge benefits.  You get to see small villages that dot the countryside of France.  They seldom disappoint as they are almost always charming and full of history.

Take this town for example (hating myself right now for not remembering the name): my route took my straight through the center of town, right past the local castle.  Unbelievable.

Shortly after that, I got into territory with which I am not very familiar: driving through mountains.  You see, I'm originally from Louisiana (think below sea-level) and now live in Dallas (think barely above sea level).  Needless to say, winding up a mountain in a toy-sized car called for a few short breaks to allow some color to return to my face.

Speaking of safe, I highly recommend getting a GPS system if you intend on driving through the backroads of France.  However, here is my piece of advice regarding these systems - sometimes they have NO IDEA what they are talking about.  Please use your judgement like I did when the automated voice tells you to turn left down a road like the one above.  Clearly this was not a road I wanted to go down.  I wasn't even sure it was a road.  Looked more like a driveway to me.  So, I kept driving.

Frustrated, the voice told me to turn left again in 200 meters (that damn metric system again) and lo and behold this was where it wanted me to turn.  Again, not happening.  So, I continued on my merry way.

Only to have the voice tell me to turn left here.  Yep.  Here.  Where there is no road.  In fact, where there is nothing because this is the side of a MOUNTAIN.  GPS lady told me to turn left off the side of the mountain.  I felt like throwing the stupid thing off the mountain itself and seeing how GPS lady liked that.  Then I thought that probably wasn't such a good idea either.  So, I just ignored it as usual and headed to the next town where the GPS and I got back on good terms again.

Finally, I arrived in Roussillon, which is famous for the red ochre cliffs that surround it.  The village itself is high on a mountaintop and is a vision of oranges, reds and yellows.  It only takes a few minutes to stroll through the tiny town, so if you are close by, I suggest making a detour.  It might be quick, but it is unforgettable.

Stone stairwell leading to the town perched on the hill.

There are plenty of cafes, restaurants, art galleries and shops to keep you busy here.

Not to mention the beautiful architecture.

Walking through the town was like taking a step back in time.

Don't miss this store on the edge of town.  It has the best collection of pottery in Roussillon.  It was beautifully hand-painted.  I will be going back to France ASAP if only to shop here.  It's a must.

1 comment:

Belle Jones said...

Beautiful photos! France does have many quaint places to visit. I enjoyed the photos of the many wonderful foods that had been ordered. All the descriptions were personalized and simply delightful of the food and
landscape! I had a wonderful visit in France tonight. Thank you. Belle